Thank you for your interest in our International Program. Currently, USP offers Semester exchange program and Intensive summer program for partner Universities.
1. Partner Universities for Exchange Program
|USA||Japan Center for Michigan Universities (JCMU)|
|Auburn University at Montgomery|
|Mount St. Mary's University|
|Mid Michigan College|
|University of Houston-Victoria|
|Australia||University of Technology, Sydney|
|Germany||University of Augsburg|
|Italy||The University for Foreigners Perugia|
|Spain||University of Seville|
|France||Lille Institute of Political Studies|
|University of Orleans|
|UK||York St John University|
|China||Hunan Normal University|
|Hunan Agricultural University|
|Central South University|
|Qinghai University for Nationalities|
|Inner Mongolia University for the Nationalities|
|Taiwan||National Chung Hsing University|
|Mongolia||National University of Mongolia|
|Kangwon National University|
|Philippines||University of San Carlos|
2. International Student Exchange Program
How to apply
Applicants must be currently enrolled as undergraduate or graduate students at USP's partner university and should be recommended by the home university.
Application Requirements: Applicants must submit the required documents below.
One photo of your face for student ID (The digital data of the portrait)
Certificate of enrollment (or Recommendation letter)
A copy of your passport
Fall Semester: May 15
Spring Semester: Nov. 15
Please submit your application documents by post and e-mail to:
The Office of International Programs and Development
The University of Shiga Prefecture
2500 Hassaka Hikone Shiga 522-8533, Japan
TEL: + 81- (0) 749-28-8504 FAX: + 81- (0) 749-28-8267
3. Costs and Calendar
Academic calendar at USP
|Fall Semester|| October 1 to March 31 |
(Most classes held in this semester will end in February.)
|Spring Semester||April 1 to September 30|
Monthly Living Cost
Although the cost of living varies depending on factors such as housing expenditure and food budget, the model living expenses for international students is below
|Accommodation (Including utilities)||JPY27,000 – JPY37,000|
All international students are required to purchase the following insurance.
1) National Health Insurance (Approximately \ 20,000 / year (following reduction))
International students are fundamentally required to join the National Health Insurance System upon your arrival in Japan. This insurance covers about 70% of the medical charges.
2) Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research (Gakkensai)
This is an accident compensation insurance covering unforeseen disaster and acdcidents during regular curricular activities school events, extracurricular (club) acitivities, and while onto the university premises.
(Insurance fee: 1,000 yen / year)
3) Comprehensive Insurance for Students Lives Coupled with PAS For International Students
This insurance offers comprehensive support in the case of unexpected incidents occurring during students life.
· Personal Liability Insurance Payment (When the student injure others or damage the possessions of others.)
· Death, Residual Disability Insurance Payment (When the student suffers death or incurs residual disability as a result of a sudden and unexpected external incident.)
· Medical Expense Insurance Payment (When the student is hospitalized or visits the hospital as a result of injury or illness.)
· Insurance for Rescuer Expenses, etc. (Whe the parent or the guardian of the student comes to the hospital following student hospitalization)
· Hospitalization Insurance, Surgery Insurance, Hospital Visit Insurance (When the student is hospitalized or visits the hospital as a result of injury)
(Insurance fee: 8,060 yen / 6months, 11,500 yen / year)
5. Once you are accepted – Next Step –
USP will send you "Acceptance Letter" and "Certificate of Eligibility". After being admitted, you need to apply for a certification of eligibility with a college student status. Then, go to the Japanese embassy in your home country to apply for the visa for entering Japan.
6. Upon Approval
1) Student VISA
Apply for a student VISA to an overseas Japanese embassy or consulate.
2) Airport pick-up
USP offers airport pick-up or student escort service to Hikone. We will inform you detailed schedule with the letter of acceptance.